Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Alchemical Quince--this is too good not to post

If only our homes were so easy to transform.

Last night after reading a little more about quinces, I couldn't resist the temptation to experience their transformational powers firsthand. Using a simple recipe from the Joy of Cooking (the latest edition) I made Membrillo--the quince paste of Spain that is the perfect accompaniment to Manchego or any other strong salty cheese.

Look:

Peel, core and slice three quinces. Put slices in saucepan with one cup of water.
Simmer until soft (45 min.)

Puree the quince slices and return to pan with 3 cups of sugar. Simmer over low heat for 2 1/2 hours until mixture is very thick. Pour mixture into buttered parchment-lined pan.
Let dry overnight at room temperature. Cut into squares and serve with Manchego (or Parmigiano-Reggiano) cheese slices, sliced pears, nuts, crackers or anything else.
Quince paste will keep unrefrigerated for a month or more, but ours will be long gone before then.

This is an absolutely delicious and almost preposterously simple recipe. Just my kind. I see quince paste in my future. What could be more perfect for the holiday season than a square of sparkling red Membrillo with a slice of aged Manchego, (or possibly a Quebec aged cheddar?) atop a slice of crisp flatbread accompanied by a glass of Pedro Ximenez sherry?

4 comments:

modernemama said...

I love membrillo - you can also use it as a filling between two sand cookies or shortbread, yum!

S and N said...

Unfortunately, all that I made for this year has been devoured, so none is left for shortbread baking season (which begins tomorrow, for me, I think). Next year I will make more. It seems like a perfect Christmas thing--that colour!

My Notting Hill said...

Wow - this looks do-able! I like how you presented the recipe.

S and N said...

Hey, thanks. The visual presentation was to avoid typing--something I have never mastered. I'm glad you like it! Today I made Madeleines for the first time (so no memories for me) and they were surprisingly straightforward, too.