Friday, June 5, 2009

“Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!”

--Four Yorkshiremen

When Utilatub is your kitchen sink, you know the renovation isn't going according to plan

I know I sounded an optimistic note about renewing my blog posts, but a small change in circumstances has thwarted my plan. An unforeseen event has put our renovations on temporary and brief (I hope) hold. Since I returned from my latest trip to the EU, we’ve been without a kitchen sink, dishwasher, stove, and, perhaps most troublingly, even a kitchen floor! N’s last project was to replace all the badly chopped up joists in our kitchen (which had been riddled with new holes and gashes for every new plumbing, wiring, and heating project over the past hundred and thirty years) with new laminated joists. The new joists are in (it was a huge job I’ll write about later in the kitchen saga), but we are awaiting plumbing, gas, and electrical conduits, as well as a few other things, like reconciling the major difference in levels between different areas of the kitchen floor, before we finally screw down the subfloor.

When your pet loses his mind and begins ambushing you from above (or posing as building inspector)...

I’ve been doing the dishes in the laundry tub and finding creative ways to cook using the microwave, the barbecue, and a small butane powered single-burner stove. I thought the little pause might give me a chance to continue the kitchen renovation story up to this point, but I’ve been funnelling my creativity into life without floors/sink/stove. It’s a challenging Dali-esque environment we’re inhabiting now. I’ve scaled back my dreams a little. A kitchen sink?—Luxury! I can’t help but think of that Monty Python skit—you know the one: four well to do Yorkshiremen compare the hardships of their youth. The original was actually pre-Monty Python. See it here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You try to tell that to the young people of today, and do they believe you? No!!

We're approaching the end of no kitchen -- we were in the "3/4ths the floor is missing" stage for a bit. We got counters at the beginning of the week, and I got the sink (and dishwasher!) hooked up today. Still lots to do, but this is a momentous step. Good luck!

S and N said...

Dishwasher hooked up? You've got it made.
I can hardly believe we spent our 20s without one.

Unknown said...

No dishwasher? Oh, the luxury. We had to make our own plates. Then our dad would smash the dirty ones over our heads until we were dead, and dance on our graves! :-)

Yeah, most of my 20s I was without one. The house I bought (this one) had a dishwasher and I was so excited. Then about a year later (just after the home warranty expired) I was in the basement and noticed a dripping noise under the kitchen when the dishwasher was running, as the tub had rusted through. So this is one is my third dishwasher in 15 years. Since it has a stainless tub, it should last longer than the previous two.